In the development of our operations, we follow strict sustainability guidelines. This performance is supported by the seven principles established by our majority shareholder, Votorantim S.A.
We are working on the creation of a Sustainability Master Plan, with guidelines and initiatives that will provide the development of best sustainability practices in all areas. The plan establishes a series of objectives and goals related to the material issues of the company and which are part of the strategic plan. These include targets for safety, efficient use of water, waste generation and disposal, and community development.
Principles of Sustainability
1. Be acknowledged by society as a socially and environmentally responsible company.
2. Have sustainability as a strategic pillar, guiding governance, management, education, and investment decisions – creating value.
3. Consistently improve economic, social, and environmental outcomes, seeking efficiency and reliability in operations, comparable to world-class standards.
4. Be acknowledged as a company that attracts, develops, and retains talented people in order to generate value and build a fair and inclusive society.
5. Be committed to the welfare and health and safety of employees, customers, and partners.
6. Contribute to the development of the communities where we have.
7. Encourage all employees and stakeholders to cooperate and participate in the building of partnerships and collaborative work aimed at generating value for all.
Acknowledgements and Awards
For the fourth consecutive year, we were elected a leading company in the Mining, Steel and Metallurgy industry by Guia Exame de Sustentabilidade, evidence that the company’s investments in this field over the past few years are being well managed and helping to build a good corporate reputation.
External Initiatives GRI 102-12
Our commitment to sustainable development is also expressed in our adherence to several voluntary initiatives, undertaken with national and international sector organizations. These include:
Global Compact – A United Nations initiative, Global Compact aims to mobilize the business community around the world in adopting the ten principles that represent fundamental values of human rights, labor relations, the environment and the fight against corruption. In 2017, we became signatories to this important initiative.
Sustainable Development Objectives – The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are a global agenda composed of 17 objectives and 169 targets to be achieved by 2030, which were adopted at the UN Summit on Sustainable Development in September 2015. Efforts are aimed at eradication of poverty, food security, agriculture, health, education, gender equality, reduction of inequalities, energy, water and sanitation, sustainable production and consumption patterns, climate change, sustainable cities, sustainable use of oceans and terrestrial ecosystems, inclusive economic growth, infrastructure and industrialization, among others. We endorsed this commitment in 2017 and, in this report, we describe the correlation of the SDGs to our material issues and long-term goals.